I am a late bloomer when it comes to make up, and I am certainly no make up expert. In fact, I only just started wearing it last year. So when several people started asking me how I apply my make up, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. Since there has been some interest, I decided to share it with you.
But first things first, let me ponder some points as to why it is never to late to learn how to apply your own make up:
- No more hassling yourself trying to find someone to do it for you when you have an occasion.
- It's difficult to find someone who can apply your make up and still make you look like you (only a better/younger version) when they're done. I always end up staring at a stranger in the mirror when I have my make up done in salons....and they put so much it just feels SOOO heavy and uncomfortable.
- Wearing make-up, even just a little bit, always makes you look more polished than going bare.
Now that that's over and done with and you're still reading, let's begin with my super lazy, less than 1 minute make up routine:
This is a simple method that works for me.
- Lip and Cheek Tint - I used to love The Face Shop's version until I discovered this one from Etude House. It's exactly the same for a fraction of the price. I also find that these Asian brands work better on my skin tone than those created by western-based brands.
- Tinted Lip Gloss of your choice - I like NARS Happy Days Velvet Lip Gloss pencil. Gives a beautiful, natural orange-y lip color.
- Apply lip and cheek tint on the apples of your cheeks, spread and blend, I also like applying a tiny bit on the bridge of my nose for a more natural look.
- Apply lip and cheek tint on the lips with applicator then blend with your hands. Apply gloss on top.
*By the way, I strongly suggest applying a good moisturizer before anything else. Good skin is the best canvas. To save on time, use a good tinted moisturizer and set with face powder.
Next up, the only regimen I know, my go to look for events and everything else in between, the look people ask me about. It's really very simple.
First, I start with a tinted moisturizer, I LOVE Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer!
spread evenly across your face, neck and decolletage if you'll be exposing it.
Next, I apply my eye make-up. I always do this first so it's easier to clean up mistakes, which I have a lot of especially when applying eyeliner.
When it comes to eye make up, invest in good, smudge-free ones. Some of the brands I like are Stila, Nars and Laura Mercier.
Lately, I've been using Stila's black diamond mascara, it doesn't clump up. Just give the tube a good shake before application.
For night, I love Stila's smudge pot in black cat. It has tiny speckles that glitter! So pretty!
Currently using a Fanny Serrano eyelash curler. Works fine on me but curious to try out Laura M's mini eyelash curler..
For day, I use the black eyeliner included in the Stila smokey eye talking palette. It's just a basic black. But since I colored my hair a bright red recently, I've started experimenting with NARS blue eyeliner because I love the contrast of blue against red. Personally though, I still prefer applying eyeliner with a brush since I like my eyeliner thick. Why?
Because I haven't had been able to experiment with eyeshadows yet and I find that thick eyeliner gives a dramatic effect even without eyeshadow. Next, I clean it up with some earbuds dipped in Human Nature's sunflower beauty oil. Works great with even the toughest eye make-up.
Next, I apply powder all over my face using PUR minerals 4-1 powder. Been using this for over a year now and I really love it. The applicator brush that comes with it works great as well. Pay special attention to under eyes and sides of the nose since this also works as a concealer.
After powder, I apply my blush at the apples of my cheeks then I blend them in upwards sweeping motion following the contours of my cheeks.
I used to love PUR minerals exotic rocks cause it comes in three shades that you can mix and match, however...
once I discovered NARS orgasm blush, I just totally fell in love! It's perfect once applied and looks really natural no matter how much you put on! It's idiot-free! :P
Afterwards, I apply what I call my "camouflaging agents".
I use Laura Mercier's secret brightening powder to disguise my dark circles. I prefer this to concealer since it's easier to apply and looks better in photos. Apply a minute amount with your pinky or brush to set it better.
My favorite product of all, Laura Mercier's Illuminator:
The illuminator lends a dewy, youthful finish by simply applying a little on your forehead and on the bridge of your nose. A little goes a long way, don't overdo or you'll look like you have an oily face instead of a dewy one :P
Lastly, my favorite lipsticks:
NARS Matte lipstick in Vesuvio when I feel vampy! Apply sunflower beauty oil on your lips first for easier application.
Pur Minerals in Sandy Quartz when I'm going for the minimlastic look which works great with Luxe Grunge fashion.
Laura Mercier's Roman Moon - beautiful coral shade...
and my favorite for the season, Laura Mercier's Rasberry Sorbet:
There, that's it! You can view the look, once applied HERE. I hope you enjoyed this post! It's also a prelude to a special surprise I have in store for you. <3
If you have questions or requests, feel free to send me an email :)
Thanks! Have a nice day!