Do It For The Kids: Global Warming Is Here To Stay...
Global warming has arrived and it is no longer a vague warning from scientists but an actuality, a visible threat, evident in the drastic climate changes we've been experiencing this year and last. The seasons have gone amok, snow in L.A., "Ondoy" in Manila, now the great flood Brisbane is experiencing. It's only 2011 and the world almost seems unbearable to live in. Human beings are like a cancer that the Earth is trying to kick out of it's system. I am afraid of what might happen in twenty years if drastic changes to our lifestyles are not applied. My daughter is only four and I don't want her growing up in a world that might resemble Kevin Costner's "Waterworld" or Stallone's "Judge Dredd". It is our decision to bring these children into this world and it should be our responsibility to ensure that we bring them into a world that is clean, safe and wholesome.
If not for us, let's do it for the kids. We should not allow ourselves to suffer any more events like these. We cannot just suck it up and adjust to what our world is turning into. We should make a conscious change starting with ourselves, our family and our household.
Here are some easy and obvious tips you can follow towards a greener life (please feel free to add to this list in the comments section, it will be greatly appreciated):
- Replace incandescent bulbs with CFL . Your electrical bill will go down drastically.
- Clean filters in your airconditioning systems, better yet just use an electric fan. Cold air from an aircon will give you dry skin anyway. Who wants to age prematurely?
- Unplug your appliances when not in use. This will lower your electric bill significantly as well....more money for shoes!
- Buy energy efficient appliances when replacing your old ones.
- Move fridge or freezer away from heating elements.
- Have your windows tinted to keep out the heat.
- Cover your pots while cooking so it heats up faster.
- Use the washing machine only when you have a full load.
- Hang your clothes dry instead of using a dryer.
- Don't use the dishwasher.
- Use a pail and dipper to take a bath instead of a shower or hot tub.
- Boil water in a kettle instead of turning on the central water heater.
- RECYCLE! everything! Keep ribbons from gifts, you can use these for your hair or to wrap presents with again. Use empty cans as plant pots, etc. you get the gist. Just think twice before throwing anything out.
- When in the grocery or mall be conscious of packaging. Choose products with little or recycled or recyclable packaging. Buy refills.
- Bring your own shopping bag.
- Use organic, biodegradable soaps and cleaning aids. Waste water is safe and can be used to water your plants, clean the floors or flush the toilets. It doesn't have to be expensive. Try Human Nature for bath and body products or Plantex for cleaning aids.
- NEVER get useless little plastic bags for medicine and stuff. Just stuff them in your pocket or bag.
- Plant a tree.
- Reduce your waste.
- Buy in bulk or larger containers. Don't get single serve sachets.
- Make your own cookies, sandwiches and juice for your kids snack. Don't buy juice boxes and single serve cookie packs.
- Order enough. Don't take out.
- Buy locally grown food and plants. These take less energy to transport from the farms to your local marketplace or grocery.
- Buy fresh food instead of frozen.
- Try walking or carpooling instead of taking your own car.
- Eat less meat. Methane is the second most significant greenhouse gas and cows are one of the greatest methane emitters. Their grassy diet and multiple stomachs cause them to produce methane, which they exhale with every breath.
- Keep your car tuned up.
- Check your tires weekly.
- Fly less.
- Join the virtual march. The Stop Global Warming Virtual March is a non-political effort to bring people concerned about global warming together in one place. Add your voice to the hundreds of thousands of other people urging action on this issue.
- Encourage the switch to renewable energy. Successfully combating global warming requires a national transition to renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and biomass. These technologies are ready to be deployed more widely but there are regulatory barriers impeding them. U.S. citizens, take action to break down those barriers with Vote Solar.
- Buy second hand.
- Repurpose your clothes or raid your mom's closet.
- Use a carbon calculator. carboncounted.com
- Grow fast growing plants like bamboo.
At this point, it may seem daunting to stop Global Warming. The future may seem imminent and it might feel like we have all sunk too deep into the problem. But remember that the human race is a powerful race, we are the only race that posses the ability to prevent our own extinction. There is power in numbers and numbers is what we have. If we all take a stand and do our part as individuals then the possibilities are endless. We may be able to gift our children with clean rivers they can fish and swim in, unpolluted air to breath, and the best gift of all, a long and healthy life.
*Please repost, email or share this link to show that you care...