Football Fever: Philippine Azcals Vs. Mongolia Blue Wolves
I know this isn't a sports blog but dammit! That was a hellufa game! I am still very much buzzed from the victory as well as the beer that came alongside the game. Cheers to Gener and P. Younghusband for scoring two of our much needed goals.
Overall, I have to say that we could've done MUCH BETTER considering our standing in the roster vs. Mongolia. Then again, I have to say that given that, the Azcals were still able to deliver a win for the Filipinos despite their weak game (just according to my opinion). So, woohoo, yeah, for the Azcals!
Caligdong's goal in the first half wasn't really that impressive, I would've preferred more power in his kick but I have to admit that it was well calculated and greatly appreciated. I was getting really frustrated towards the 40th minute for lack of a goal. It saddens me greatly that I can't find any photos of Caligdong online. Phil's goal at the last minute (93rd minute i believe) was short of spectacular. (there is an abundance of Phil Younghusband photos online) A goal worthy of the Champions League. A winning kick if I might say.
A few gripes about our local coverage/hosting of the game:
- Commentators were biased and focused only on the Azcals triumphs. As a commentator, I believe you must relay the game the fairest way possible for both teams. Even if it's obvious that you are routing for your home team, you must still give attention to the accomplishments of the opposing team and give a proper play by play commentary instead of focussing on the life history of each and every Azcal player.
- We had no idea how much stoppage time was available! This is important!
- There wasn't enough space for them to do a decent throw-in.
- Pitch wasn't perfect. You need a proper field for an efficient game.
- For the Azcals: you must push harder and try to concentrate much more on possible rebounds. If you watch the replay of the game, I'm sure you will understand my frustration. Please run for the ball. Don't just stand there and wait for it to approach you.
Overall, yes, I am elated over the win and will continue celebrating after this post. But I am hungry for more. We gotta do MUCH better than this if we have dreams of going head to head with Japan and other great Asian football teams. I love you that's why I push. Go Azcals! Make Us Proud!