Recipes for Lent: Calamansi And Tuyo Pasta
Evening ladies! This is the mom in me blogging right now. :)
I'm a big fan of Chef Bruce and his restaurants. Whenever Dennis and I are in Galleria, we make it a point to have a meal at Hyphy's or Lutong Hinirang. We've never been disappointed. Not once. I had lunch in Lutong Hinirang again recently with Ana and I ordered their Calamansi and Tuyo Pasta. It was so good that I havent stopped thinking about it since then.
Being Lent, and as well as to satisfy my cravings, I decided to give it a try at home, which I took 2 haphazard twitpics of :
I got some responses saying, looks good, yummy and the like plus there were a couple asking for the recipe so I decided to make a quick post on it. I'm sure a lot of us are currently challenged as to which "Lent Appropriate" meals to serve to our family so I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this.
It's very easy to make and you probably have all these ingredients lying around your kitchen at all times.
What You Need:
(good for 2-3 big eaters)
- about a 3rd of a 500 gm pack of Pasta - Linguine, Spaghetti or whatever you have
- 1 head of garlic crushed and chopped or 2 heads of native garlic (that's what I used)
- 4-6 pieces of tuyo ( I used 6 cause I love tuyo)
- olive oil a substantial amount
- grated queso de bola
- 3-4 calamansi
*For International Readers - Tuyo is a Filipino delicacy that is similar to Anchovies, only slightly bigger, while Calamansi is our local lemon.
- Take off the head and skin/scales of the tuyo.
- Fry on low heat with olive oil (low heat so the tuyo has the chance of flavoring the oil without burning)
- Remove tuyo from pan, take out spine (you don't have to, I just don't like it) and roughly chop it
- Saute garlic in same pan, add cooked noodles, mix, add juice of calamansi,salt, mix, put cooked tuyo back in pan, turn off heat, mix some more.
- Serve with grated queso de bola cheese.
Enjoy! Hope you like!
*I am not affiliated with Chef Bruce Lim or any of his restaurants. This is just my take on his dish, no guarantee that it is exactly alike.